A Message From Our Superintendent
Dear RASD Parents/Guardians, Students and Community,
I want to thank all of you! We have worked really hard since March 13, 2020, to make tomorrow possible. The staff has spent this summer preparing for the return of our students. We have improved our virtual learning model based upon the feedback from parents and staff. We are implementing Schoology as our learning management system. We made changes to our school environment so that students and staff would be as safe and healthy as possible. We cannot wait for our students to fill our classrooms. We are so excited to help them grow academically, socially and emotionally this school year.
As the first day of school gets closer, you’ll notice an increase in your child’s excitement, perhaps anxiety, or feelings of being overwhelmed. We are a little nervous too. There is a lot of newness this school year. We will be working on teaching in person and R-learners at the same time. There are going to be some learning curves with precautions, technology, and blending in-person and R-learning. More than anything we want EVERYBODY to have a successful school year.
We take our responsibility for the safety of our students and staff very seriously and we appreciate your partnership in these efforts. We have outlined these responsibilities in the District Health and Safety Plan (Board approved on August 11, 2020). The Board will continue to review health and safety plans monthly.
Things to Remember:
1. We are all in this together! EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.OF.US!
2. Whether your child is in Kindergarten or a Senior, this year is going to be brand new.
3. No one can fail at something they have never tried; they can only get better. And we promise we will get better with each passing day.
5. No one is going to be left behind in 2020!
6. COVID 19 has created a lot of uncertainty. RASD Staff is absolutely certain that we will treat your children like our own and we will teach them to the very best of our ability with grace, kindness and compassion EVERY SINGLE DAY.
About Your Child’s School Day:
1. RASD will be participating in the Seamless Summer Option (SSO). This means that all children (through the age of 18) who reside in the Ridgway Area School District will be eligible for free breakfast and lunch through December 31, 2020. If your child is a student at FSG, RMS, and RHS they will automatically get free breakfast and lunch by going through the line in the cafeteria. If you are a Ridgway Agency or have a child and live in the District, please click on the link for SSO for additional information.
2. For students participating in in-person instruction, the Middle/High School arrival is 7:15 and dismissal is at 2:24; FSG arrival is at 7:50 and dismissal is at 2:45 (walkers); 2:55 (bus).
3. If your child is enrolled in R-Learning, your child’s principal has emailed you and many of your child’s teachers have sent you welcome back packets. As a parent you can access the Schoology parent resources at https://support.schoology.com/hc/en-us/articles/208019558-Parent-Resources. Your child can access important student information about Schoology by using their Google Credentials from rasd.schoology.com and reviewing information at Students – Getting Started with Schoology . For younger children, parents will need to review the student information with them. If you have not had your parent orientation yet, it will occur over the next week.
4. The information you received from your child’s building principals in their back to school mailings (from both schools) or packets (at the middle/high school) include your child’s bus information, bell schedule, calendar and other important items. If your child has been enrolled in RASD and you have not received information or if your address, phone, or email have recently changed, please reach out to the elementary school at 814-776-4255; the middle-high school at 814-773-3164 or the Office of Students Services at 814-776-4255. If you recently moved within the Ridgway community and your child’s bus stop has changed, please reach out to Amy Ellis at 773-3146 or email@example.com to get the correct bus stop and assignment.
5. It is extremely important that you send your emergency notification information for Blackboard Connect to school with your child this week. Each building secretary will be uploading this information as it is received. The District office will upload the information on Monday, September 14. The District will test the emergency notification system on Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 7 pm.
The elementary and middle-high school have had an additional 40 students enroll in the District this summer. If you recently moved to the District and you have not enrolled your child, please reach out to Ms. Kelley, FSG Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Lynch, RMHS Secretary at email@example.com to set up an enrollment meeting. We will be scheduling your enrollment for after September 8.
Thank you for your patience and for partnering with us on this journey. Thank you for entrusting your children to our care. Together we’ve got this!
Here We Go Elkers!